CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Newly Modified Mountain Bike

Yesterday I finally had the chance to take my newly remodeled mountain bike out for real bike training for the triathlon. I added new slicks to the bike as well as a cateye computer and bottle cage. It's amazing out much different the bike is now. It glided smoothly along the pavement and made me actually believe i would enjoy the bike part of the tri now since i was dreading it with the old knobby tires on the bike. I rode out on the country road north of my house and kept a pretty good pace of 21mph for the first 3 miles. Turned around at the 3 mile marker and realized a few things...

1. I had forgotten my helmet (DUMB rookie move)
2. I had the wind at my back for the first 3 miles
3. I haven't been drinking enough water

The ride back home was HARD. I had partially bonked because i havent been drinking enough water and i was now riding directly into a 10-15 mph wind. I was determined not to stop pedaling though so I played with the gears to keep my cadence going and my legs were burning when i finally got home. My average speed on the way back was probably 10-12mph so my overall average for the ride was just over 14mph. I need to get better at that and really adjust my water intake. Still if felt great to get out and ride rather than being stuck on a trainer.

As the summer is here, i am getting more and more excited for the tri in August. Also, I joined up with a weightloss challenge on beginnertriathlete.com and working hard on my diet so i dont let my team down. my goal is a loss of 10 pounds in June.

Until next time...

0 comments: